44 people were killed on Monday July 6, 2015, in the central Nigerian city of Jos during a suspected Islamist militant attacks. No group claimed immediate responsibility for the attack but Reuters reported that they bore the marks of Boko Haram fighters.
The insurgents hit a restaurant and a mosque in the city. Reuters wrote that Alhassan Muhammad of the National Emergency Management Agency stated that 23 people died in the suicide bombing at the restaurant in Jos and 21 died in a shooting and grenade attack outside the mosque. He also said that 47 people had been injured during the attacks.
One resident, Bashir Abdullahi, described the attack on the restaurant where he said a sucide bomber had run into the crowd inside, “I saw people running out crying, some with bloodstains.”
“I believe many lives were lost.”
Abubakar Shehu, a witness to the attack on the mosque said that “we saw two or three vehicles coming from different directions and we started hearing gunshots from all angles and then a very loud bang, like a bomb being thrown into the mosque.”