Gunmen captured and many killed by Burundi’s army in north

By Editorial Board - 12 July 2015 at 9:51 pm

Reuters reported that on Sunday 12 July 2015, a regional governor said Burundi’s army has captured scores of gunmen and killed many others after two days of clashes in the north of the country. This is part of the latest increase in violence in the nation that emerged from civil war in 2005.

The governor of Cibitoke province, Anselme Nsabimana, which is an area bordering with both Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, told Reuters that “about 100 gunmen are in the hands of the army forces.”

“There is no more fighting in Cibitoke. It’s calm,” he said, also sating that rebels had been killed but did not specify a number.

A rebel general, who took part in the failed coup in May this year, told Reuters this week that he and his comrades were rallying forces to overthrow President Pierre Nkurunziza.

There has been a major surge in social unrest in the country since President Nkurunziza announced in May that he was seeking his third term in office which has been deemed unconstitutional by many.

Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

Leave a Reply