Three Ugandan soldiers charged over killing seven in Somalia

By Editorial Board - 21 August 2015 at 10:26 pm

Last month a group of civilians were killed in Somalia by three Ugandan soldiers. Today they were charged over the killings, said an African Union (AU) official.

The head of the AU in Somalia, Maman Sidikou, has apologised to the families of the seven people killed in the attack.

The BBC reported that the AU had previously denied that the attack took place.

Human Rights Watch stated that AU troops from Uganda began to shoot at men in a wedding party on July 31, 2015.

The BBC reported that witnesses said that there was a grenade attack on a military convoy and then troops entered several houses in Merca, which is about 75 kilometres south of Mogadishu, the capital.

Sidikou in a statement made on Friday said that seven civilians were killed.

“We have established that, on that occasion, seven civilians died following an incident involving our troops,” Sidikou stated.

“I would like, on behalf of the African Union, to offer my sincere apology for these deaths. We regret these deaths.”

“I have instituted a board of inquiry composed of military, civilian and police officers who are not from the contingent concerned in order to ensure impartiality,” he added.

Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

Leave a Reply

*