10 fishermen dead in South African trawler tragedy CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press

By Editorial Board - 29 September 2015 at 3:56 pm

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Ten fishermen died and three were missing after the crew of a fishing trawler abandoned their vessel in rough seas off the South African coast, rescuers said Monday.

Another eight fishermen from the Cape Town trawler survived the disaster, which happened Sunday south of Hangklip, Western Cape province, the National Sea Rescue Institute said. The Cape Town-based institute said in a statement that nine bodies were recovered from the water and another fishermen who had been rescued later died of injuries.

Two sea rescue vessels and a South African air force helicopter responded to a distress call from the trawler after it took on water in swells as high as 20 feet (six meters), the rescue service said.

Several fishing boats were searching for the missing fishermen. Maritime authorities have opened an investigation.


Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

Leave a Reply