Guinea opposition leader pulls himself from election process

By Editorial Board - 16 October 2015 at 2:52 pm

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — Guinea’s main opposition candidate removed himself from the electoral process on Wednesday, his party said, days after the country’s second democratic presidential election in more than 50 years.

Cellou Dalein Diallo’s Union for the Democratic Forces of Guinea party said that the decision was made given the refusal by the government and the electoral commission to comply with a minimum of democratic rules, according to party spokesman Aboubacar Sylla.

Diallo faced off with President Alpha Conde in the second round of the country’s first democratic elections in 2010. That led to ethnic and political violence.

The candidate who placed third in the first round of the 2010 election, Sidya Toure, on Monday also withdrew from the electoral process.

It was unclear if the politicians will remain removed once the results are given. Guinea’s election commission said full provisional results have been postponed until Friday.

Diallo’s announcement comes after Guinea Justice Minister Cheick Sako called on Guineans, especially politicians, to refrain from inciting violence or undermining the country’s laws, saying unrest will be punished by the law.

International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has said the court is following developments in Guinea closely to see if any unrest falls under its jurisdiction.

Violence before the Oct. 11 presidential vote killed at least three people. There have been some reports of unrest outside the capital since the vote and after opposition leaders said they wouldn’t recognize results because of allegations of voting fraud.

The government of Conde, who is favored to win the election in a second round, denied that there was fraud.

Guinea has endured decades of corrupt dictatorship since independence from France in 1958. In 2008, after the longtime strongman died, a military coup led to tumultuous rule until the junta’s leader agreed to go into exile.

BOUBACAR DIALLO, Associated Press

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

1 Comment so far

Jump into a conversation

  1. Chisegnaw Gebar

    It is every man for himself from now on.
    Every Ethiopian need to break free from the cultural taboo restricting the food variety sources in Ethiopian diet . the Ethiopian culture permits for Ethiopians to eat only 15% of the possible food sources nature provided to Ethiopians. Even lions eat and live in the wild in Ethiopia while the people do not eat what the lion eats and go on hungry.The lion got to start to share food. the women should let the kitchen free to all to stop the never ending starvation or the people will remain malnutritioned food beggers.

    Ethiopians since the 1990’s with the world class government tried to stop the prophecy but failed because too many women are in power when it comes to food preparation within Ethiopia . Men do not prepare food which is the main problem for Ethiopians lack of having chance to experiment with foods that are eaten in other parts of the world such as dogs , horses , rabbit , mice , cats , pigeons , shrimps and so on. .. These are available food that could feed the whole country for the coming decade but not put to use because the culture dictates who prepares the food (the women) and what they use as ingredients.

Leave a Reply