AP Photo/Jerome Delay
At least 13 people have been killed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), however the number could be as high as 30. Mixed reports are coming in but it does seem clear that a United Nations peacekeeper was killed during the attack.
A regional official told AFP they had seen “four civilians killed by bullets… and seven patients and a nurse cut up by machete at the hospital”.
News 24 Wire reported that a human rights activists had said that 30 people had been killed during attack on Monday. Those killed in the attack according to News 24 included 14 members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebel group. Seven civilians and eight soldiers also perished during the attack said Omar Kavota of the Centre for the Promotion of Peace and Human Rights.
The assault took place in the east of the country, a reportedly calm area of the state.
The United Nations created a force of more than 20,000 troops for the UN Stabilisation Mission in the Congo (Monusco) to try and eliminate the negative dynamics in the country. However, this has not stopped the killings in the country. The ADF which was created with the purpose of forming an Islamist state as well as overthrowing President Yoweri Museveni continues to use violence.