Kenyan man charged for sharing photos of Somalia victims

By Editorial Board - 20 January 2016 at 11:02 am

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A Kenyan man has been charged for publishing pictures alleged to be of Kenyan soldiers killed last week by Islamic extremist rebels in Somalia.

The man, Eddy Reuben Illah, appeared in court Tuesday, denied the charges and was remanded in custody. The charge sheet said the photos distributed by the suspect were “likely to cause fear and alarm.”

Illah is accused of distributing the pictures via the messaging service WhatsApp.

Kenyan officials have not said how many soldiers were killed in the attack Friday, and have warned Kenyans against publishing images that may incite the public.

Al-Shabab says it killed about 100 Kenyans and seized armaments and military vehicles.


Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

Leave a Reply