South African teams struggle to reach buried workers at mine

By Editorial Board - 10 February 2016 at 4:13 pm

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Rescue teams at a South African mine are struggling to reach three missing workers who were buried in a mobile office container under thousands of tons of rock last week.

Australia-based Vantage Goldfields, which runs the Lily gold mine near Barberton town, said Wednesday that there were “some signs of life” during rescue operations Tuesday, a reference to tapping sounds apparently coming from the container.

The company says those sounds have not been heard so far on Wednesday. It says searchers are about 40 feet (12 meters) from the steel container and that time is running out for anyone to be rescued alive.

An underground pillar caved in at the mine Friday, creating a sinkhole that swallowed the container. All 87 miners who were underground during the collapse were rescued.


Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

Leave a Reply