South African president to withdraw troops from Darfur

By Editorial Board - 25 February 2016 at 1:23 pm

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — South Africa’s president has ordered the withdrawal of the country’s peacekeeping troops from Sudan’s troubled Darfur region.

In a statement Wednesday, President Jacob Zuma said the deployment of the South African National Defense Force to the joint United Nations and African Union mission in Darfur will end on April 1. South African troops have been there since 2008.

The U.N. says the hybrid operation in Darfur is the largest peacekeeping operation in the world. Last year, it had 14,413 troops and more than 3,100 police officers. It was not immediately clear how many South African troops are there.

The 2006 Darfur Peace Agreement came into effect after three years of conflict that led to an estimated 1.8 million displaced people. More than 300,000 people have been killed in the conflict.


Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Editorial Board

Editorial Board

Africa Times is an independent participative online news site for Sub-Saharan Africa. We aim to empower all African voices through publishing content by a range of people, from academics to bloggers. We are dedicated to bringing the world an African view on life, up-to-date African news and analysis.

Twitter: @_AfricaTimes

Leave a Reply