Guinea’s opposition appeals for intervention on Condé third term
The political opposition in the West African nation of Guinea, denouncing the efforts of President Alpha Condé to seek a third term, has appealed to the African Union to intervene before Condé is successful at what they are calling a constitutional coup.
The National Front for the Defense of the Constitution (FNDC) also appealed to the 15-nation regional body ECOWAS “to intervene before chaos sets in.” Their messages come in a statement that followed Condé’s announcement last week that he will, in fact, seek a constitutional change that would allow him to run again.
The president’s decision followed a months-long process that saw increased political violence with some incidents leading to fatalities, and a crackdown on opposition leaders and their followers. The FNDC said Condé, as well as National Assembly leaders and Guinean justices, have abandoned the nation and left its institutions illegitimate.
“From this day on, the FNDC, which fights tirelessly to defend democratic principles and preserve peace and stability in the country and in the sub-region, calls on all Guineans to remain mobilized and to show firmness in all the resistance actions that will be announced in the coming days,” said the party.
The next protest march is scheduled for Thursday, so that those celebrating the Christmas holiday can do so before another round of actions begin. The FNDC also appealed to the country’s security forces to remain on the side of their fellow citizens and “not to give in to the manipulation of a failed power.”
The 81-year-old Condé has been president since 2010, and came to office amid previous rounds of violence including a September 2009 stadium massacre that left 157 people dead.
Image: FNDC file
Pingback: Beguilement: Alpha Condé and Africa’s third-term syndrome | Foreign Brief