Officials in Uganda say the death toll has risen to 11 people, just days after confirming a new Ebola virus outbreak in the village of Ngabano, in the Mubende district of the country’s central region.
The new total includes eight people who died in the community and another three who died in medical facilities.
“Currently there are 25 cases on admission at the health facility, out of which six are confirmed while 19 are suspected for EVD,” said the ministry in a statement issued Friday afternoon. Additionally, 58 people are being monitored as contacts of those who contracted the Ebola virus.
Earlier this week, the Uganda Virus Research Institute confirmed a 24-year-old male was positive for the Ebola-Sudan strain and had died from the virus. So far, the Ebola outbreak appears to be contained to the Mubende district.
World Health Organization officials say it’s the first time the Sudan strain has appeared in Uganda since 2012. They caution that although the Ervebo vaccine has proven effective against recent outbreaks of the Zaire strain of the virus, it’s not approved for the Sudan strain. A second Ebola vaccine may work but has not been tested.
WHO says the Sudan strain led to fatalities in 41% to 100% of the cases in various past outbreaks.
“This is the first time in more than a decade that Uganda is recording an outbreak of Sudan ebolavirus. We are working closely with the national health authorities to investigate the source of this outbreak while supporting the efforts to quickly roll out effective control measures,” said Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa.
“Uganda is no stranger to effective Ebola control. Thanks to its expertise, action has been taken to quickly detect the virus and we can bank on this knowledge to halt the spread of infections.”
Image: Uganda Ministry of Health