SA launches investigation into 11 taxi-ambush deaths

SA launches investigation into 11 taxi-ambush deaths

South African authorities said Sunday that specialized law enforcement units working on a 72-hour plan are working to track down those responsible for the deaths of 11 people who were traveling with a taxi association in the country’s eastern KwaZulu-Natal province. The 11 people from the Ivory Park Taxi Association…

More than a dozen die in Mogadishu car bomb attack

More than a dozen die in Mogadishu car bomb attack

The death toll in Saturday’s bombing attacks in downtown Mogadishu, which targeted the complex where the country’s ministries of interior and security are housed, has risen to 13. More than 21 people were injured, many of them seriously, according to local news outlets who reported the initial car bomb blast…

Death toll now at 3 in attack on G5 Sahel force HQ in Mali

A revised death toll now stands at three people killed, one a civilian, following the car bomb attack Friday on the G5 Sahel Force headquarters in Mali. The al Qaeda-affiliated militant group JNIM (Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims) has claimed responsibility for Friday’s attack in Sévaré, in a…

Ramaphosa’s Ramadan message makes note of mosque attack

As Ramadan begins, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa extended well-wishes to the country’s Muslim community while keeping in mind those grieving in Verulam, which has seen a Shia mosque attacked in recent days. “The importance and benefits of this holy month of fasting, piety and charity extends beyond the lives…

Emergency GNA meeting follows Libya election HQ attack

Libya’s Fayez Al-Sarraj, head of the Presidential Council for the Government of National Accord (GNA),  called an emergency meeting with security leaders Wednesday following a terrorist attack on the national election headquarters in Tripoli. The head of the Presidential Council for the Government of National Accord (GNA) issued a statement…

Terror and targets: What’s behind the Ouagadougou attacks?

The terrorist attacks in Ouagadougou on Friday were by no means the first in Burkina Faso, where people were gunned down in the Aziz Istanbul restaurant while dining in August or died at the Splendid Hotel, a site popular among Westerners that was targeted by car bomb attacks in January…

Laureen Fagan

Laureen is the editor of Africa Times

Burkina Faso: JNIM claims responsibility for Ouagadougou attack

The al Qaeda-affiliated militant group JNIM (Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims) has claimed responsibility for Friday’s attacks in Ouagadougou, in a statement released to a Mauritanian media outlet. The message to Al Akhbar said the separate but simultaneous attacks on Burkina Faso’s military headquarters and the Embassy of…

Nigeria: Rann aid workers pull out after Boko Haram attack

International humanitarian aid organization Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has pulled out of its medical operations in Rann, Nigeria, following last week’s violent attack on humanitarian aid workers. The group said it evacuated 22 national and international staff following the deaths of at least four aid workers killed during an attack…